Primary PE Sports Grant
At Dorchester, St Birinus C of E Primary School, we recognise the contribution of PE to the health and well-being of the children. We believe that an innovative, varied PE curriculum and extra-curricular opportunities have a positive influence on the concentration, attitude and academic achievement of all our children.
Our Primary School Sport’s Funding will enable us to continue and extend our provision through employing additional sports professionals, entering into more competitive sports competitions and training our staff to deliver in-house quality PE sessions.
What is the Sports Premium?
The government is providing funding of £150 million per annum to provide new and substantial primary school sport funding. The funding is being jointly provided by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport, and will see money going directly to primary school headteachers to spend on improving the quality of sport and PE for all their children.
Purpose of the funding
Schools will have to spend the sport funding on improving their provision of PE and sport, but they will have the freedom to choose how they do this.
Possible uses of the funding include:
· Hiring specialist PE teachers or qualified sports coaches to work alongside primary teachers
· New or additional Change4Life sport clubs
· Paying for professional development opportunities in PE/sport
· Providing cover to release primary teachers for professional development in PE/sport
· Running sport competitions, or increasing participation in the school games
· Buying quality assured professional development modules or material for PE/sport
· Providing places for pupils on after school sport clubs and residential visits
Please look at the links below to view how we are using our PE funding for this academic year and the evaluation from last year.